Lesson 4: A Shortcut to AutoSum
A shortcut to AutoSum
AutoSum is a fast, easy way to add up multiple values in Excel. You can access the AutoSum command from either the Home tab or the Formulas tab, but there is a keyboard shortcut that makes it even faster: Alt + =.
Take a look at the video below to see this shortcut in action.
- Open your Excel spreadsheet and select the cell where you want the sum to appear.
- Press the Alt key and the = (equals sign) key on your keyboard simultaneously.
- This will add the SUM function to the selected cell, and automatically select the adjacent cells to use in the sum function.
- Then press Enter to display the total.
- Alternatively, you can select the values you want to add by clicking and dragging your mouse.
- Then use the same keyboard shortcut (Alt + =) to display the sum in the cell directly below your selection.
Next time you’re trying to add up multiple values in a spreadsheet, be sure to try out this nifty shortcut. In the fifth lesson, we’ll take a closer look at the Quick Access Toolbar.